Restoration of Lock 2 East and Miter/Drop Gate of the Morris Canal
|Client||Borough of Wharton|
|Owner||Borough of Wharton|
|Size||11 feet wide, 91 feet long, 15 feet high|
Lock 2 East was one of 23 traditional locks and 23 inclined planes within the Morris Canal which traversed Northern New Jersey in a general east to west direction between Newark and Phillipsburg. The lock measures 11 feet wide from interior plank wall to interior plank wall, 91 feet long between gates and approximately 15 feet in height. The Morris Canal was constructed between 1825 and 1831. The significance of the Lock 2 East and the Morris Canal are intertwined. The Morris Canal is listed on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places.
McMullan & Associates provided structural analysis, preparation of construction documents and construction phase services for the complete restoration of the 91 foot long lock and the mechanically operating miter gates and drop gates. Work includes excavation of one-third of the lock, restoration of gates, walls including planking, and other features for the visiting public.