Burnside Bridge at Antietam National Battlefield Preservation & Restoration
Built in 1836, this historic stone arched 125-foot-long bridge was the location of the unfolding history of the Antietam Battle during the Civil War where Confederate soldiers held off attempts by Union soldiers to take the bridge, resulting in hundreds of perished soldiers. McMullan worked with the National Park Service to faithfully restore this well-known Civil War bridge to its original condition, which suffered from stone fallout and water damage. The 15-month rehabilitation included mapping; removal and replacement of each parapet stone; fill replacement with flowable fill; and the complete takedown and rebuilding of spandrel walls and parapets, all of which was in accordance with The Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties guidelines.
National Park Service-National Capital Region
- National Park Service Certificate of Appreciation