Lockington Lock No. 1 Restoration
Lock No. 1 is one in a series of five masonry lock structures constructed at Lockington, OH as part of the Ohio & Erie Canal between 1837 and 1845. The locks are preserved as a vestige of Ohio’s network of canals and are an important example of civil engineering work in the 19th century.
The primary goal of this project was to rebuild Lock No. 1 using as much original material as possible in the disassembly and reconstruction of this historic stone canal lock. Its stones were carefully removed and marked for relocation in their original configuration, and stored on site until being reassembled onto a new foundation. McMullan provided design and planning of the project as well as the production of working drawings and budgets. We also assisted the Owner in bidding and awarding the project, following on to provide construction administration and observation with field monitoring during restoration. All restoration work complied with the State Historic Preservation Office and the Standards for Treatment of Historic Properties by the Secretary of the Interior.
Ohio Historical Society
McMullan & Associates